Friday, February 10, 2012

Bilingual Careers

I was talking to my daughter while we shared a long table with a guy and his laptop at a coffee shop recently.  He noticed me speaking to her in Spanish and asked if I was raising her to be bilingual.  I said, "Well, I'm trying, but I really don't know very much."  He expressed his approval and encouragement.

He said he grew up in Mexico and spoke Spanish natively.  He's still bilingual today and even uses it for his job.  He works for Microsoft doing speech recognition.

It seems like learning Spanish will only help my children in their future careers, whether they choose to be interpreters, translators, teachers, work in the restaurant business, landscaping business, construction, or become professional soccer players.

As usual, I asked for a few phrases.  He said my daughter can say, "Estoy atarada" when she's "stuck" physically, which is often.  She likes to squeeze her chunky body into places that are clearly too narrow for her.  When she's done eating, she can say, "Ya termine."

No comments:

Post a Comment