Sunday, April 15, 2012

"Perdon" vs. "Con Permiso" by Guest Blogger La Guera

Today's post is by my first guest blogger, La Guera (The Blond).  She's not a native Spanish speaker, but she's studied abroad in Spain during college and later took a course in Mexico. She continues to learn as she teaches her son to speak Spanish.

My almost three year old son is consistently interrupting conversations to share his excitement about something or to get attention when I am not focusing on him.  I was talking to his maestra at his Spanish Immersion pre-school about the difference between "Perdon" and "Con Permiso or Permiso" in Mexico. She gave a concise explanation that I'd like to share.

Use "Perdon" if you have already done something. For example, bumped into someone.

Use "Con Permiso" or "Permiso" if you would like to do something. For example, interrupt a conversion, leave the table or ask them to move so you can pass by someone.

I would appreciate any other opinions on this explanation.

When my son interrupts, I am currently teaching him to say "con permiso" first.

No comments:

Post a Comment